Hugh Fisher

Hugh Fisher

  • Commented on On hold
    Mikko Parvainen wrote: In today's news in Finland, some cities are planning to make food aid (basically, free food, given out to basically anybody who comes to stand in a line for long enough, but mostly only people who really...
  • Commented on On hold
    Heteromeles wrote: The question is whether global distribution systems are best left to some sort of command and control redistribution system (currently various militaries in humanitarian operations), the free market, or political systems (government aid). Thoughts? Do all of them...
  • Commented on On hold
    Hackers in Finland are being blamed for the attack. The real culprits are deep-sea intelligent squid manipulating the packet flow in translantic fibre. (Been re-reading some Peter Watts)...
  • Commented on Test Case
    What's probably needed is a single button to press which activates a program... In my opinion the whole idea of a human monitoring the AI and intervening when there's an emergency is fundamentally flawed. Doesn't matter whether they're employed by...
  • Commented on Test Case
    For any lurking historians: at what point in Western society did it become normal/acceptable to dismiss teenage behavior as just a phase which therefore absolved them, their parents and society of any responsibility? (I'm guessing sometime post WW2 - mostly...
  • Commented on Test Case
    A manufacturer/supplier will be negligent only if the vehicle causes an accident under circumstances where a human driver or operator would be prosecuted. Careless driving, breaking a technical rule, failure to meet type-approval requirements etc. I think there is a...
  • Commented on Test Case
    Interesting that the acceptable answer is to build a barricade rather than address the psycho-social issues that might have led to such behavior. Good grief. Teenagers are raging sacks of hormones. Teenage males are absolutely the worst and can be...
  • Commented on Test Case
    Perhaps the thinking around military drones will be applicable? AFAIK there aren't any actual laws or military policies written for more or less autonomous drones yet, but ethicists and lawyers have at least been thinking and discussing the issues for...
  • Commented on Solarpunk rising, or how to turn boring bureaucratic meetings into creative fodder
    What do you think of this alternative motivation / ethos / tactic for promoting solar energy, loosely inspired by David Brin? Primarily, don't mention climate change. At all. The millisecond those words are uttered, everyone falls into long-established tribal patterns...
  • Commented on The Nakamoto Variations
    The back door(s) in the F-35 software aren't there for the USAF. Enterprising programmers at Lockheed-Martin have been installing crypto-currency mining software. A senior exec found out and is currently deciding whether to A. hide it in exchange for a...
  • Commented on The Nakamoto Variations
    For those who can't get enough weirdness, this article preview has been floating on hackernoon.com for a few days now: What is a Brain-Chain Interface? "A brain-chain interface is a direct communication pathway between an enhanced human brain and a...
  • Commented on The Nakamoto Variations
    SFreader wrote: What happens to the processing power needs for such currencies when these currencies for whatever reason decide to increase their rate/frequency of exchanges between themselves vs. with 'real' currencies? Nothing much. BitCoin was designed to make it difficult...
  • Commented on The Nakamoto Variations
    Heteromeles wrote: So do we start ducking and covering on this news, sell more bomb shelters to the rich elites, or just assume that, like Satoshi Nakamoto, this is yet another Russian PsyOps project? My suggestion is that we treat...
  • Commented on The Nakamoto Variations
    Bitcoin started as an exploration of computations that affect the quantum fabric of reality. Each "bitcoin" is in fact a successful nanofusion reaction - that's why the computers get so hot. Big Oil, desperate to maintain their monopoly, sent a...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    I apologize for inflicting my belief that there has been any progress on slavery (or human rights in general) in the past two hundred years on y'all. I'll stop reading the comments on these post so everyone can discuss how...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Heteromeles wrote: Certainly if I had a bunch of people in a coffle I'd get locked up... And I say that is a distinct improvement on several thousand years of human history. It's also evidence that we can solve these...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    In the case of slavery-by-bride-sale, most of the countries where that happens have little to no protection for women and wife-murder is common. So you've made another argument for considering those women to be slaves. I'd be happy with sending...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    So yes, I want that magic wand that ends slavery too. Not sure what the follow-on effects would be, but I do think that if it was easy to solve, we wouldn't have the problems. IMHO there's a lot of...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Mark wrote: Interesting counterfactuals here ... not just what the choice was, but how would different leaders and leaderships chosen between them. We have one alternative path already: China. Started in 1948, so thirty or so years hindsight on what...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Thomas wrote To the extent estate taxes force going concerns onto the open market, that is a good thing to the economy - Far better than randomly leaving them in the hands of people without the relevant skill sets Most...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Heteromeles wrote Agreed. What we're talking about is that they want to turn our democracy into an aristocracy via the intermediate step of plutocracy. So provide a better alternative going forward. The point I've been trying to make is not...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Heteromeles wrote One is that I'm not sure people in developing countries *want* to move here. It's that so many of their resources have been exported to the first world that they may not have much of a choice. They...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Heteromeles wrote My basic points are that it's hard to get rid of these sectors without nuking international trade and perhaps civilization, and it's equally hard to avoid having these sectors suborning any great idea we have (like robots taking...
  • Commented on The crazy years
    Charlie wrote It'd be nice if the social organizing principle of the developed world wasn't one that could fairly be described as wage slavery,... and Heteromeles wrote Unfortunately, I suspect that we're just going to see a reiteration of the...
  • Commented on Dude, you broke the future!
    And, AS I SAID, the upright position gives an advantage for the members of the group who are on watch. Which to me is an argument for the seaside, not the swamp. Sentinels only work for groups, and AFAIK there...
  • Commented on Dude, you broke the future!
    Charlie wrote: There are about five headline operating systems at present: macOS, iOS, Windows 10, Android, and Linux... I think it's not the numbers I think matter for this discussion, it's the development model. The IT industry has accepted that...
  • Commented on Dude, you broke the future!
    Getting back to your point about gift economies, Burning Man, and the old Internet... Assuming that Silicon Valley companies are the trendsetters in the use of AI, I know of two writers who've studied how these companies and the free...
  • Commented on Dude, you broke the future!
    On AIs, mutualistic relationships, and AIs not killing us all: Most of the AI discussion starts with the AI as separate entities, like other people. The impression I get from the original talk is that the threat is more from...
  • Commented on Dude, you broke the future!
    Elderly Cynic wrote: but that's not a major new class of attack, as the windowing systems have similar flaws. From a high enough level yes it's just being able to read memory you shouldn't. It is being called a new...
  • Commented on What can possibly go wrong?
    _Moz_ wrote: the total result is: police are time wasting morons. Just checking, you are aware that people who agree with you include the hard-core libertarians who want to privatize the justice system, and the "an armed society is a...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Hugh Fisher

Following

Not following anyone

Specials

Merchandise

About This Page

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Search this blog

Propaganda