Rick Moen

Rick Moen

  • Commented on Upcoming travel
    Another option for Britons wanting to ensure retention of their EU citizenship: Become resident in Ireland (in either country) for three years, then apply for naturalisation to the Irish Minister for Justice in Dublin. Republic of Ireland's passport is very...
  • Commented on Upcoming travel
    Charlie, gaining German citizenship (and passport) as a backup plan and alternative is perhaps worth considering. A number of Britons of my acquaintance are working on that. Having an additional passport with good visa-waiver status seems good insurance against return...
  • Commented on The Day After
    Heteromeles @262: Actually, hat 'ceremonial vote' was for one 'John Ewards' -- because apparently said nameless member of the Minnesota electoral delegation was that big an idiot. I know it won't do any good to OGH and others to...
  • Commented on Constitutional crisis ahoy!
    @Troutwaxer, certainly our California Voter Guide has always been a decent start towards good voter information, though limited in coverage and expensive for candidates seeking to have their candidate statements included. Various parties publishing analyses on the Web scales better....
  • Commented on Constitutional crisis ahoy!
    Paging Harry Perkins. White courtesy telephone, please. (Chris Mullin, too, has had problems with reality overrunning his sequels.)...
  • Commented on Constitutional crisis ahoy!
    Greg Tingey @723 wrote: Wasn't it J M Keynes who said: "When the facts change, I change my opinions, what do you do, sir?" Wrong Keynesian. It's a lovely quotation, but rather too waspish for John Maynard Keynes, who was...
  • Commented on How I learned to stop worrying and love the concept of punitive slating....
    Tim Hall @ 4: Do the Hugo rules prohibit publication of the nomination totals at the time the nominations are announced? They do not, and certainly that would be extremely useful. However (and you knew the 'however' was coming, didn't...
  • Commented on The Scottish Political Singularity, Act Two
    Clearly, Scotland needs a greater tax base. Might I recommend pursuing colonial ambitions in Panama? On another note, the mere possibility of Francis Urquhart^W^W Boris Johnson, as PM for a Conservative-led coalition, has enough amusement potential in it that it...
  • Commented on Who Got Fantasy in My Science Fiction?
    Just as idle speculation: Psi has become unfashionable in SFF in part because Some Lab Got Results stories haven't lately hit even the popular science magazines, as far as I'm aware -- except for that one Caroline Watt / Koestler...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Out of curiosity, I've just read the Amazon free-of-charge sample of Michael Z. Williamson's 'Wisdom from My Internet'. The whole thing is 187 pages of brief bits of snark on a variety of topics, and available in Kindle format for...
  • Commented on Inverted realities
    Sean Eric Fagan @ 14 wrote: a McGuire-Stross collaboration would be ... disturbing You say that like it's a bad thing. (T'was a really good panel, was timed to be near the end of Eastercon, and thus left attendees with...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Denelian @ 827: I'm sorry but not very surprised to hear that deadpan humour bounced off a certain, shall we say, irony-challenged Utah-ish mindset, and Poe's Law chalked up another victim. Looking forward to reading 'Wisdom From My Internet' when...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Nojay wrote: The next highest ranking ex-military PM I know of was, surprisingly, Edward Heath who made it to the rank of lieutenant-colonel in the HAC after wartime service in the artillery in Europe as an acting major. Ted Heath...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    SFreader: About that Robert Beale article, gads! Did you notice this bit: 'The defendants held a "common law court" to issue false liens and "arrest warrants" against Montgomery, according to court documents.' Wow, those are the classic marker tactics indicating...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    D wrote: Yes, I think that's called an "extortionate strategy". Absent a believable legal complaint, in my part of reality it's most commonly called a 'bluff'. Back in ancient days on news.admin.net-abuse.email, those were the source of much amusement, and...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    @Elderly Cynic: Yes, a sufficiently demented person can bring civil litigation against you for merely tying your shoelaces, for example. And also for not tying your shoelaces. And for annoying the demented person. And for failing to annoy others whom...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Two proverbs, pro bono publico: From the Yiddish: An einredenish iz erger vi a krenk. (An imaginary disease is worse than a real one.) On the other hand, one from my own Norsk: Aldri så vondt at det ikkje kunne...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    J Thomas: You know, one of the reasons that Worldcons offer only memberships and specifically not tickets is to carefully set expectations about the nature of the purchaser's participation, i.e., that it is very much not a vendor/customer one. However,...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    @Elderly Cynic: So, you prefer not to cite any credible business tort that could be raised against a Hugo Administrator who announced that, say, the current year's award for Best Novella would not be awarded because 'systematic and successful attempts...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    @Elderly Cynic: I was attempting to ironically highlight your having not actually provided any example of a relevant cause of action for a business tort in the example of a Worldcon directive empowering the Hugo Administrators to cancel a category...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    @Charlie Stross: Yes, sorry about that. I blame society. @Elderly Cynic: Creating enough of a case that it cannot be dismissed through an pre-trial application on notice for summary judgement (UK) or demurrer pleading (USA), when you have no actual...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    @Charlie Stross: My initial thought is that the Hugo Administrators (such as Kevin Standlee) work very hard to avoid any appearance of impartiality, and very strongly favour keeping the Hugo voting rules mechanistic (with certain limited exceptions like moving nominees...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Chris Ogilvie: In case I horribly confused you with this: After 2016, it's very likely that a reform of the nomination rules to (imperially) diffuse the power of a 15% bloc-vote attempt to game the system will prevent any recurrence....
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Hugh Fisher: Change away from preferential voting? That would increase the influence of bloc voting! Whoever suggested that was someone who didn't understand voting systems at all. See, this is the problem with your phrase 'a number of people'. There...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    What Charlie said. But, for one glorious moment, I imagined that his 'There just aren't that many con-going SF/F fans out there to conceal 5000 SPs' was referring to Suppressive Persons (people the Church of Scientology doesn't like), and I...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    J Thomas, two gentle corrections: You can justify everything. I'm not sure I can justify anything at all, but that's also irrelevant to the matter at hand. There's nothing I've undertaken to justify, and nothing I have any reason to...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    J Thomas wrote: But to them it looks like persecution. Paranoia on the Internet is debased coinage that generates much heat, furious Brownian motion, and no light at all. Or, as we say in San Francisco, 'That and $2.25 will...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    J Thomas: People openly talking about changing the rules to stop his people... Objection, Your Honour: Transparent bollocks. People are talking about, and attending members will talk right up through and during the next two Worldcon Business Meetings, changing the...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Chris Ogilvie: I'm just a moderately clued senior system administrator, not any sort of expert on voting systems and their failure modes. For whatever it's worth, the final ballot's algorithm, which is IRV followed by a second runoff phase (No...
  • Commented on The Biggest Little SF Publisher you never heard of pulls on the jackboots
    Greg Tingey: It's... In diesen heil'gen [heiligen] Hallen Kennt man die Rache nicht. (Within these hallowed halls One knows not revenge.) I can hear Fritz Crass singing it on the DG/Bohm recording -- which I can recommend if only so...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Rick Moen

Following

Not following anyone

Specials

Merchandise

About This Page

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Search this blog

Propaganda