- Website: medium.com/@surmenok
Commented on Random excuses
Just want to comment about LJ popularity in Russia. It was big 15 years ago. But since around 2005 it is no longer the main social network in Russia. VK (a.k.a. VKontakte), a clone of Facebook, is the largest social...
Graydon commented on
If you do the pre-wash specifically for shaving and lather-and-shave twice (once with the grain, once against), and then post-shave moisturizer and whatever "let's not have any ingrown hairs" treatment you apply, ten minutes isn't that hard. There are beards out there where that's the minimum useful approach and the alternative is growing it down to your waist and hanging weights on it to it will look like it grows in a uniform direction. Just using a straight razor, where you essentially must not hurry, makes ten minutes not that hard. A full-up barbershop shave with a stroke-strop-stroke-strop straight razor...
Max™ commented on
I'd rather rinse and comb my beard/stache several times a day after eating plus showering than deal with all that crap ever again. Kudos for doing all the washing steps, but bleh....
Graydon commented on
Oh, I don't -- I find one pass with a safety razor works much better than anything else I've tried -- but I wanted to note that ten minutes really isn't unreasonable. There comes a time where looking a decade older goes from being an advantage to being a disadvantage in the workplace, and if I grow a beard I need to change all my ID which is a pain....
Elderly Cynic commented on
No. Especially for those of us with unhelpful bones, skin or hair (e.g. hair that lies flat). I normally get away with 5 minutes, but only just....
Mario Di Giacomo commented on
This seems to be the best place to ask, as it is vaguely on topic: With the shift in US publishers from Ace to Tor, the mass-market paperback for The Nightmare Stacks seems to have fallen through the cracks. DO you know when/if it will be scheduled?...
Not following anyone
- Common Misconceptions About Publishing—a series of essays about the industry I work in.
- How I Got Here In The End —my non-writing autobiography, or what I did before becoming a full-time writer.
- Unwirer—an experiment in weblog mediated collaborative fiction.
- Shaping the Future—a talk I gave on the social implications of Moore's Law.
- Japan: first impressions — or, what I did on my holidays
- Inside the MIT Media Lab—what it’s like to spend a day wandering around the Media Lab.
- The High Frontier, Redux — space colonization: feasible or futile?
- “Nothing like this will be built again”—inside a nuclear reactor complex.
- Old blog—2003-2006 (RIP)